From:
"Chester A. Lewandowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 09:09:52 EST

I am a recently biopsy confirmed Celaic patient (4 weeks) so I am very new at
this.  The more I read about the disease and the diet the more I realize how
much more there is to learn.

 I made mistakes in the beginning with the strict gluten free diet, but as I
learned more, things eventually started to improve. The color in my face
returned, the number of daily bathroom trips were more than cut in half, the
bloating subsided, the diarrhea went away, and even the steatorrhea went away.
Stools became more consistent and formed.  And then I guess I had a gluten
attack.  After a couple of days it calmed down.  I have searched high and low
for the forbidden ingredient with no luck.  My recovery is now back on track
after 5 days.

 I have read the FAQ file and see that I am NOT doing everything possible.
For example I have no idea how sensitive I am to say sharing a toaster with
the rest of the family.  I shared the toaster and got better, but, could it be
affecting me now?  Am I more sensitive than I think I am? I have not tried the
food log yet, so there are areas where I can improve. How far back should I
look for the culprit of a gluten attack?  Hours? Days?

 I know everyone's symptoms can be different and the tolerance levels are
different also.  So I am looking for some advice or others who may have
experienced the "I'm getting better, but, the symptoms returned" stories.
Should I really get my own toaster? Was I really getting better or was that
just a premature success feeling on my part? What worked for you?  Food logs,
toaster, all of the above?

  E-mail from: Chester A. Lewandowski, 02-Mar-1996