From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:26:42 -0400

I checked the archives regarding the gluten status of Coke and Pepsi and
found conflicting statements. I was concerned primarily about the caramel
color. So I contacted them myself and received the following...

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at Pepsi-Cola Company
regarding our product ingredients. Here at Pepsi, we only use ingredients
that are fully approved and deemed safe for use in foods by the Food and
Drug Administration. There is no gluten in any soft drink produced by
Pepsi-Cola Company in North America. Although high fructose corn syrup is
derived from corn, the technology used in making this sweetener completely
removes the protein fractions, leaving no residuals in the finished sweetener.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions or
comments, feel free to e-mail me at any time.

Sincerely,
The Pepsi World Webmaster

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company.

We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola
classic, diet Coke, caffeine free diet Coke, Sprite, diet Sprite, Vanilla
Coke, diet Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Fresca, and our 100% juice products
(without added flavors) are gluten free. As with all medical conditions, we
would suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider to determine
the appropriate foods for your dietary needs.

If you have additional questions or comments, please visit our Web site
again.

Jenny
The Coca-Cola Company
Industry and Consumer Affairs