From:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:00:38 -0400

Fellow Listmates:

Because I believe strongly in S. 2499, the Food Allergen Consumer
Protection Act, and not the substitute amendment, S. 3001 which
excludes gluten from the list of allergens, I thought it was imperative
to speak up and voice my opinion by writing directly to my congressional
representatives about the issues.

Today, I received this response from one of my Senators:
"Thank you for writing to me about changing national labeling laws
to include allergens and gluten.  This is a serious omission from the
current labeling laws, and I would support these changes if the issue
comes before the Senate."

"Over 9 million Americans suffer from food allergies and sensitivities,
including illnesses such as celiac disease. The symptoms can range from
unpleasant to life-threatening, and can be set off by very small amounts
of the allergen. It is very worrisome that there is no reliable way
to know if allergens are included in food or supplements, and this
must be corrected."

"I am very concerned about the transparency of food products, and I will
continue to work for increased accountability.  I thank you for comments."

Senator Frank Lautenberg

I encourage everyone to contact their congressional representatives, raise
their awareness of the issues, and voice support for amendment, S. 2499,
which includes gluten as an allergen.

You can find, and e-mail, your senators by visiting
http://www.senate.gov/
and
you can do likewise with your congressional representative by visiting
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

Thanks.