From:
Robert Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:40:17 -0400

My husband and I had a gluten-free v. gluten muffin bakeoff,
and I lost. His gluten muffins rose half again as much as my
GF ones and his tops rounded up in baking, while my GF ones
were stunted and the tops looked as lumpy as the raw batter.

What did I do wrong? Any tips from more experienced GF
bakers would be appreciated.

Here's the recipe we used:

Popular Muffins

1 egg
1 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Beat egg with fork; stir in
milk and oil. Blend dry ingredients together; stir into wet
and mix lightly. Spoon into 12 muffin cups. Bake 20-25 min.

We both followed the same recipe except that my husband used
unbleached white all-purpose wheat flour and I used this GF mix
for the 2 c. flour:

Cathy Poindexter's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
with rice bran and xanthan gum instead of rice polish and guar gum:

4 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour
1 cup Tapioca Starch Flour
1 cup Rice Bran