Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:49:00 EST

Hi,

I found this recipe in a magazine and just changed the flour to GF baking mix
and made the best chocolate desert ever!  No different taste and everyone
loved it!  The best part is that it really is quick and easy.  Enjoy!

Dark Velvet Torte

Prep and cook time: about 35 min. (really!)

8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 11/3 C.)  (I used
        Nestles semi sweet chocolate morsels).
1/2 C (1/4 lb.) butter (not margarine), cut into 1/2 in. chunks
4 large eggs, separated
2 tsp. all-purpose flour (I use Welplan Potato and Cornstarch Baking Mix)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 Tbl. sugar
whipped cream (I use Cool Whip)
fresh raspberries, rinsed and drained

1. Microwave chocolate and butter together at 50 % power until chocolate is
   soft about 3-4 min).  Stir until blended.

2. Add eggs and GF baking mix (flour) to chocolate mixture; whisk until
   smooth.

3. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar.  Beat with a mixer on high speed
   until whites are foamy.  Gradually add sugar and continue beating until
   whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.

4. Add about a fourth of the egg whites to chocolate mix; stir to mix well.
   Add remaining whites and gently fold into chocolate mix until evenly
   blended.  Pour into an 8-inch cake pan with removable rim (I just used a
   regular round cake pan, greased and lightly floured (rice flour).  Spread
   batter smooth.

5. Bake in a 350 degree oven until torte puffs slightly and center barely
   jiggles when pan is gently shaken, 18-20 min.  Cool at least 1 hour in pan
   on rack (torte sinks slightly).

6. Serve with whipped cream and raspberries.

Makes 8-10 servings