Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:06:17 -0700

Remember Brownie stew or Boy Scout foil dinners from your childhood?
Last weekend, I was visiting with my son & daughter-in-law.  We got a
sudden impluse to make foil dinners because it was simply too hot to cook
indoors & they don't have a grill.  It was fun and easy and GF!  Here's
what we did for 10 people:
        We cleared a 32 inch circle in an empty flower bed & surrounded it with
cement landscaping blocks.  Then we poured in nearly a full bag of
charcoal briquettes & lit them.  While the coals were getting started, we
assembled the dinners.  In each sheet of heavy duty foil, we placed a
generous sized hamburger patty, diced red potatoes & carrots, chopped
onion & green peppers, salt & pepper.  The foil dinners were sealed
closed using the "drug store wrap."  When the coals were ready, the foil
wraps were placed directly on the coals for about 13 minutes on each
side, then were removed from the heat and allowed to "rest" for another
10 or 15 minutes.  We then opened one end of the wrap & dumped the
contents onto a plate.  They were delicious & fun for the whole family.
[We used about 4 pounds hamburger, 10 potatoes, 10 carrots, 2 large
onions, one pepper for 10 people.]
        I repeated this at my home Saturday.  Instead of making a fire pit, I
used my old charcoal bar-b-que, without the grill.  I skipped the pepper
and added a sprig of fresh rosemary to each dinner.  The aroma was
irresistable.  I found I needed about 7 charcoal briquettes under each
foil dinner.  If you decide to try this, make sure you use heavy duty
foil.  One of mine sprung a leak & the juices put out a couple of the
coals underneath so the veggies in one of my dinners were firm.  ~Valerie
in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!