From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:11:40 -0400

Does anyone have an easy recipe for a not-sweet, low-glycemic, high protein bar, or a storebought one? Obviously gf.

I work out and keep my diabetes in remission, but drinking Glucerna and eating NuGo Slim protein bars.  I find other brands way too sweet.  I cut out sugar a couple of years ago.  Have it only on occasion.  And I don't eat maltitol or xylitol or that family.  If I add sweeteners, it's stevia.

I'm on the go a lot, so this really helps keep blood sugar level.  I absolutely hate bars with dates or cane sugar, that are meant for sweet tastes.

BUT, the downside is I need to cut back on fats, and I failed to notice that both Glucerna and nuGo Slim have a lot of saturated fats.  I was on Zocor, have been given permission to go off it, but I want to control this with diet.  Otherwise, I'm a healthfood nut, so I'm embarrassed that I somehow missed how high in fat both products are.

I'm no youngster...but I need recommendations from athletic, busy people who don't go for sweets, but need protein.  I realize that the reason the bars fill you up is the fat.  There must be some healthy recipes for non-perishable real food.

Thanks.

Lin

*******
*******