From:
Debi Ruscitti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:34:25 EST

SUB CELIAC Deb Ruscitti

I am a Mom of a 17 year old newly diagnosed CD and  she will be off to
college this coming Fall..Well, needless to say we are  overwhelmed. We live in
Illinois and I'm sure Brit will be staying close. We are  a very close Mom and
Daughter team and her going off to college was a teary-eyed  subject before the
diagnosis. Now, this has added another issue to the "you'll  be ok" subject.
She is very bright and now a fun-loving, free spirit again. I  can not believe
the change in one month off the gluten. She was in so much pain  with her belly
for so long it changed her whole personality. But, thank goodness  "SHE"S
BACK" and we can forget about the past..But, oh the future. I have read  your
article on "preparing a celiac for college" and it was really great info.  Now, I
need to put it all to work. I really wish I could find more CD kids that
will be attending the same college (which at this point we are still trying to
figure out). It would be great if somehow we could post somewhere a list of our
 kids colleges and see if we couldn't try to hook kids up at least for
support  system while at school.Have any ideas how to do that? Maybe a website for
CD's  and college names and then you could respond to those emails? I don't
know but,  I think that would help Brit..Well, I need to go. This new phase in
our life has  me running to 3 different grocery store and if takes a lot of time
to read the  labels. But, we will survive and seeing Brit smile again makes
it all worth  it..I'd love to hear from you if you have any ideas or any other
articles about  college that you can send..