From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:08:24 -0500

I am one of the CELIAC listowners.  In recent weeks we've had a number
of posts that we generally try to avoid on this list, such as:

   -- Requests to sign off the list or to turn mail off or on.  The
      members can't make these changes; only the listowners (whom you
      can reach at CELIAC-REQUEST@[log in to unmask]) can.

   -- Requests for local information on restaurants, doctors, etc. in
      a large city.  Such requests can usually best be answered directly
      by support groups and celiac contacts in that city.  These can be
      obtained via e-mail or the web from the list's reference files.
      (See http://rdz.acor.org/lists/celiac/index.html#support)

   -- Requests for information that has been previously posted.  This
      can be found easily from the archives of all past posts.  (See
      http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html)

   -- Off-topic posts such as today's turkey/whiskey humor.  It may
      seem petty to complain about such items, but they quickly add
      up if people start sending them in regularly.

We run a "tight ship" on this list, which most subscribers seem to
approve of.  I know that some subscribers feel we ought to "loosen up"
a little; that we are too stringent regarding what is appropriate for
the list.  But we regularly have people leave the list, just because
they get too much mail from it.  Just today I removed yet another person,
who had signed on back in May, due to the volume of mail they were
getting.

If we "loosen up" the posting guidelines to start allowing some of these
extra posts, we will probably double the volume of mail to the list.
Sounds unlikely?  Consider the numbers:  Currently we average about
20 posts per day.  If 20 people send in an extra post that falls outside
the current guidelines, the volume of mail doubles.  20 people
represents less than 1% of the current list membership.  Does it still
seem unlikely?

I know that people mean well when they send humor to the list.  (BTW,
humor that is relevant to celiac disease or the gluten-free diet is
acceptable.)  I know it is convenient to just ask the list a question,
rather than doing a little research through the archives or reference
files.  But if we want this list to remain a strong source of mutual
support and good information, we've got to keep our membership numbers
and (ideally) continue growing.  To do that, we must not allow the number
of posts from the list to get too high; that is the message that has come
through loud and clear from most of those who have left the list, and
from many of the current subscribers.

I don't wish to discourage any of you from making posts to the list,
or asking for help from the list.  But please try the archives of
and keep posts to the list focused on celiac disease and the gluten-free
diet.

For the listowners,

-- Holly, Michigan, USA --