From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:03:28 -0500

Hello, Everyone--

I saw a gastro today, new to me, because of recommendation for a colonoscopy. She made several statements I question. One of those is that within 3 to 4 months of being diagnosed and going gf, a patient should return to normal ferritin levels, that most of hers do. (the key word here may be most; I neglected to ask her how many celiac patients she had and at what ages they were diagnosed.)

When I went gf, I was anemic. Last year, in March-02, after gf almost 6 months, my ferritin was at 7. I worked very hard at my diet but still only improved to 12 by Sept., so I began taking an iron supplement. At the check this past April-03, my ferritin is now up to 22. I'm feeling tremendously better. I understand that optimum is 40 - 100.

Is there anyone else on this list who had a lengthy recovery of ferritin levels?

thanks in advance,
CurtissAnn in OK