From:
Douglas Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:07:59 -0500

After reading all the latest discussions about wine, yeast and gluten, I
called Fetzer who makes my favorite wine.(I have no vested interest in
Fetzer - just like their wine!) The rep was very friendly and shared all
kinds of info about both sulfites (which bother me) and the yeast used
in the wine-making process.

They use Red Star yeast. I called the company and a rep left a very
definite and credible message on my voice mail saying that Red Star
yeast is definitely gluten-free. (I also checked with Fleishmans since
my wife uses that for my bread; that is gluten-free also.)

For those who are interested in avoiding sulfites, it is too much detail
to go into - call the rep at Fetzers! But bottom line is that by looking
at years and serial numbers, you can avoid the wines with the most
active sulfites and chose those whose sulfites have mostly dissipated.
He also surprised me by saying that choosing a white over a red was not
a good predictor for the avoidance of sulfites.