From:
Skuzzo Fredrico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:47:17 +1300

Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I also wondered if anyone from New Zealand could give us any input on
>how they accomplished their gluten labeling laws.  I really think the
>labeling laws could be better for everyone, not just celiacs, but of
>course gluten is our area of interest.
>Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.
>Lisa

As for the ins and outs of the New Zealand parlimentary discussions I'm
afraid I can't be much help. What I do know is that the move to clarify
labelling of products was as a result of a number of factors. It was the
general abuse by manufacturers of such terms as "Fat free", "sugar free",
"gluten free" etc etc that led to a more accurate definition of labelling.

For example, under the old system, fruit juice could be defined as 100% pure
as long as the added sugars and preservatives were less than 3% of the total
product.... hardly 100% pure!!!

So, perhaps the answer in the US is not to try and push for better labelling
of products as gluten free or not, but to join forces with as many parties
that have an active interest in better labelling as possible - such as
diabetics - and together form a combined group to lobby whoever it is you
have to lobby.

To list a few... Coeliac Disease, Asthma, Eczema, Urticaria, Diabetes,
Lactose intolerence, grain intolerences of any and all kinds, Irritable
Bowel Syndrome   and the list goes on... I imagine that the combined
proportion of the population with at least one of these would make up a
pretty decent sized group.

Just suggestions :)

Pete...