From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:17:22 -0800

To my Listmates,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about GF skin nd
hair products! Apologies for not sending individual replies but I
got so many posts on this it seemed more practical to send a
summary.  Here are the responses I got:

1) Skin products:

M-moisturizer S-soap MU-makup

M S MU-Clinique products for both skin and makeup with special
          recommendation for Aloe vera moisturizer for the body,
          Dramatically Different Moisturising lotion, lipsticks are GF
          except for one so best to ask at the counter
M-     Lancombe moisterizers *some contain wheatgerm so get an
          ingredient list  (expensive line but work well)
M-     Jason Natural Cosmetics in CA 'Natural 70% Aloe vera by Jason'
M-     Aloe Vera Gel (not sure of brand but possibly Jason Natural)
S-     soap Kiss My face olive oil soap (used for baby rashes as well)
M-     olive oil
M-     K-Mart carries a moisteriser specifically for diabetics
          (purchased at hospital supply store-inexpensive)
M-     Aquaphor (base for many prescriptions) contains petrolatum,
          mineral oil, wool wax, alcohol->non-celiac recommendation
M-     Eucerin-triple purified water, petrolatum, mineral oil,
          ceresin, lanolin alcohol, methylchloroisothiazolinone,
          methylisothiazolinone)->non-celiac recommendation
M-     Vaseline (petrolatum)
M-     Sisheido (also have sunscreen)
M-     Coastline in CA  products for sensitive skin/scalp no fragrance
          not nec GF

note:one person is gluten, corn, and lactose intolerant and uses
Clinique Moisteriser

2) Shampoos:

-Citre Shine by Advanced Research Labs CA
-L'anza's Re Balance remedy Shampoo
-L'anza's leave in Curl and Color leave in conditioner

3) other things causing skin/scalp reactions:

-alpha hydroxy acids
-sun exposure
-Galderma and neutrogena caused itchiness near eyes
-mineral oil
-caution about OTC moisterisers as they are not opthalmic (esp
    cremes containing cortisone)
-possibly Vit A-check with the company or pharmacist on the brand
    for sources as there are GF Vit A sources

I have tried Aquaeous Cream (itching), glaxo base (no trouble but
a bit heavy for moisterising), olive oil (itchy), mineral oil
(itchy and puffy), Almay Daily Moisteriser (itchy after several
years of no trouble but it's GF), Marcelle eye cream (itchy after
several years but it's GF), I have used Clinique DDML in the past
with no trouble but haven't tried it lately.  The product that
seems to be on my 'irritant list' is petrolatum or mineral oil.

Thanks again! i'll be posting my summary of responses to
medications this week. I was asking if anybody had noticed delayed or
reduced reactions to medications as well as being celiac.

Lissy

PS) A few people asked if I had any responses on makeup. Apart from
the above I use Cover Girl, Maybelline, Max Factor, and Bonne
Belle with no problems. I don't know if they are GF but they
don't cause any reaction. the problem seems to be with the moisterisers.