From:
Betsy Algis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:03:01 -0400

In a message dated 95-09-13 00:18:40 EDT, Don Wiss writes,

>My understanding, and I'm not really into religion, is that the church
>powers (and this applies to most religions) are afraid that if they give in
>on some rule, then people will start to question whether all the other rules
>also need to be followed. Also, I understand that one of the reasons of
>having all these rules is to keep the congregation constantly challenged in
>trying to meet them.

Actually, I believe in Catholicism, the "bread" they partake of is considered
to be changed into the actual body of Christ--who called himself the "bread
of  life."  I think the reason it has been a problem for the church to
include any other forms of bread lie in their interpretation of the word
"bread".  If "bread" means that stuff that is made with wheat flour, then to
them there may be no other substitute. (I disagree with this reasoning, but I
do think that is how it came to be).  I am not a Catholic, (Baptist) but I
think if the individual cannot take a portion of the communion, they should
be allowed to use what they need.  After all, it is for the Lord that we do
this, not for others. Surely HE understands!.  ;-)  Betsy Algis