From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:43:53 -0500

Hi Listmates,

Below is my original request and then the suggestions that I received.  I
hope that someone finds the information helpful.

Enjoy the rest of summer!
Barbara in SW MO

"Can anyone help with suggestions on where to eat at Mackinac Island and
across the upper peninsula then turning down along Lake Michigan toward
Milwaukee? "

#1    "In Mackinaw City just before crossing the bridge there is a little
shopping center that has a Bass Pro Shop and movie theatre.  There is a
brewrey type restaurant near the bathrooms across from the gravity zero ride
that we ate at two weeks ago and they made burgers for our son that were
awesome! "

#2    "I just returned from vacationing in Pembine, WI which is right on the
WI/Upper MI boarder.  It is very backwoods country and there are very few
restaurants.

Iron Mountain and Norway, MI both have McDonald's, Iron Mountain has Wendy's
also.  We stayed at the Four Seasons Resort in Pembine which is on an island
they had steak, baked potatoes, veggies and salad.  I was going to try Paris
in Pembine which is a steak place also but didn't get there.

Coming down into WI along the lake the larger cities will have McDonald's
possibly Wendy's (I know Crivitz does).  Green Bay may have an Outback Steak
house, Green Bay DOES HAVE Prime Quarter which is a WI based restaurant.  We
just went there and it was great.  You pick out your own steak and grill it
yourself on a larger grill area.  They have baked potato and salad bar.  The
dressing is Kraft and I had no problems at all.  The grill is used to grill
Texas toast also, they gave me a clean grate to put over the grill and I
grilled my steak on the grate, they gave me clean tongs also.  The garlic
seasoning for the steak was pure garlic so that was gf also.  The management
was very nice a accommodating.

Brookfield, WI which is a western burb of Milwaukee has Outback Steak House,
PF Changs, Caraba's, and FishBone's which all have gf menus.

I would suggest taking some food there will be areas it will be hard to find
food.  When I go to just any old place or bar I usually get a burger without
bun/pickle and hope to get mashed potatoes or baked potato.  The fries are
almost always fried with other breaded items."

#3    "when I was up there in May, there was a family restaurant in Mackinac
City right by the Holiday Inn Express that didn't have a gluten free menu
but I was still able to order a plain hamburger and baked potato.
On Mackinac Island, The main restaurant in the Grand Hotel accomodated my
celiac requests. I spoke with the chef prior to ordering and since
everything is made from scratch, he told me what to order and what to avoid.
It's not an inexpensive meal but it was a wonderful meal and a beautiful
setting. I also at at the Grand Hotel Grille at the base of the hill before
you go up the hill to the Grand Hotel and again ordered a plain hamburger
and salad without any problems. There's also a small grocery store on the
island if she needs milk, etc."

#4    "Iron Mountain and Norway, MI are both on Route 2, I am not sure if
she will be that far west but both of those towns have the normal fast food
restaurants.  I was in Iron Mountain and ate at Wendy's none of the local
places I was up for trying.  Econo Foods and Super One are both grocery
stores in Iron Mountain with a limited supply of gf food.  She may be able
to find something there.

Heading down to Menominee/Marinette if they take Hwy 141, Crivitz has the
normal fast food restaurants also.  We just drove through so I don't know
what else they have but at least they have some food choices there.

Once she gets to Menominee/Marinette she will have the normal restaurants as
well.  By normal I mean the fast food chains like McDonald's, Wendy's,
Burger King, Applebees, not Outback Steak house.  I know Applebees does not
have a gf menu but I have eaten there the
hamburgers, salads (I bring my own dressing) and mashed potatoes, not sure
if the mashed potatoes are cf though.  The casein free makes it a bit more
difficult than just gf so I know her choices are more limited."

#5    "in marquette she could eat at the Sweet Water on 3rd street.  also
Lagniappe Cajun Eatery on jackson cut alley just south of washington and
3rd.  always Red Lobster if she gets salad and crab legs, with out the
butter for dipping stick with the lemon,or something of that nature.  other
places west i am unsure of.  i did just find out that the Cheesecake Factory
has lots of gluten free itiems.  one which she could not get but you may be
interested in is the godiva cheesecake.  it is gluten free and you can order
whole cakes online."

#6    For the Milwaukee area:

      Bonefish Grill - Brookfield
      (262)797-0166
     18355 W. Bluemound Road
      Brookfield, WI 53045
      Carraba's
      Brookfield (262) 797-2548
      18375 W. Bluemound Rd., Brookfield, WI 53045

      Greenfield (414) 282-4158
      4765 S. 76th Street, Greenfield, WI 53220

            Wauwatosa - Mayfair Mall

            P.F. Chang's
            Address:
            Mayfair Mall