From:
Michael MacCartney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael MacCartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:09:15 -0500

Hi all

Happy holidays!

     There was a recent posting regarding the Today Show coverage of
allergies, and the food labeling act. (
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10352778/ ). A good article, I've sent it to
friends and family as none really understand, and we are in a controversy
about Christmas dinner this year due to my celiac, my childrens allergies,
and my families wanting to have us present for the "traditional" family
dinner. (My celiac just presented 1.5 yrs ago, and my children are very
young so Christmas dinner was a tradition for us).

    Anyhow, in reading the web article referenced above, I came across this
statement:

"The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 requires
that food ingredient statements identify in common language that an
ingredient is itself, or is derived from, one of the eight main food
allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, fish, Crustacea, eggs, milk, soy, and wheat),
or is gluten (from rye, barley, oats, and triticale). Foods that contain a
protein of one of these major food allergens will also appear on the label
if they are contained in a flavor. "

NOTE it indicates that "..that an ingredient is itself, or is derive dfrom,
one of the eight main food allergers, OR IS GLUTEN (FROM RYE, BARLEY, OATS,
AND TRITICALS)." I interepret this paragraph as indicating that gluten
containing items will be listed on the label. BUT they state later:

"One glitch in the new law is that it does not require food companies to
list on their labels “gluten”; FDA says that by 2008 they will determine the
exact definition."

So in one paragraph they indicate gluten containing items will be labeled,
and in another they indicate that gluten is not covered by this law. In the
research I've done in the past, I thought that Gluten was not addressed
other then by the fact that Wheat is one of the common allergens. And that
Gluten-Free labeling was what will be studied and a ruling determined by
2008.

I thought we were still fighting the battle to have Rye and barley, and
other "non-wheat" gluten derived ingredients labeled properly....???

I have the full text of the law, it is available at (
www.glutenfree.com/files/hr3684.pdf  ) since it is an amendment to an
existing law, here is the original law as well (
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/laws/fdcact/fdctoc.htm )

What I'm asking the group is what do you definitively know about this
subject??? Will all gluten containing substances be listed on food labels
manufactored after Jan 1 2006, or is the Today Show incorrect in their
indication and only Wheat will be labeled for us???

I will inquire with the Today Show and research the law further, but wanted
to check with all of you as well.

Further, does anyone know of a way to report companies that are not
complying with the law once it is effective???

Thanks,

Michael J. MacCartney