From:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:09:04 -0400

This café serves buckwheat crepes, and I have already eaten there
twice this week! The savory crepes come normally on buckwheat
crepes, but you can also order the sweet crepes (which are normally
served on wheat crepes) on buckwheat crepes as well. The buckwheat
batter is totally gluten-free. In fact, they mill their own
buckwheat flour on a dedicated machine at the restaurant. I have
enjoyed the savory chicken crepe with dijon sauce, as well as the
mixed berry crepe with whipped cream. They have dedicated buckwheat
crepe makers and dedicated wheat crepe makers. Be sure to ask for a
clean spatula to turn the crepe. They also have tomato soup and
cream of mushroom soup that is gluten-free. Their website is
crepescafe.com.

I have spoken twice at great length with the owner, and he is aware
of gluten sensitivity and tries his hardest to accommodate gluten-
free diets. I do have to give a disclaimer here that there could be
a slight possibility of cross contact. Like in a fast food
restaurant where an employee might throw some onion rings into a
dedicated french fry fryer, an employee could mistakenly use the
wrong crepe maker – BUT, the owner has spoken to his staff about all
of the cross contact issues. With all of this said, I have enjoyed
eating there twice now and will enjoy another lunch there soon. I
just wanted to pass this information along to anyone who might want
to frequent his restaurant.

I have tried to attach a pdf of their menu (which clearly states that their
buckwheat crepes are gluten free-it's the cross contact you should be aware
of).  As always, eating out is risky.

Sue