From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:52:28 -0700

I was tending my grandkids recently.  Their other grandmother, Nana, came in
with a pot of food.  I asked what she made.  She said it was "porridge."
When she told me how to make it, I was delighted to find it's GF.  I made it
for my grandkids today.  One of these little girls is a picky eater &
generally won't eat vegetables, but she goobled up Nana's porridge, carrots
& peas and all.  It's very easy to prepare.  [Nana said it can be made with
different veggies, meats or no meats at all.]

Nana's Porridge

A few cut up pieces of ham, bacon or sausage
A little bit of diced chicken -- one boneless skinless thigh or breast is
enough

2 cups rice (any kind)
2 cups GF chicken broth
2 cups water

2 chopped up or shredded carrots (I chop them fine in the food processor)
About 1 cup frozen peas

Saute the meat(s) for a minute or two.  Stir in rice & carrots, then add
broth, water & peas.  Bring to boil.  Finish one of three ways (usually 30
minutes more for white rice & 45 minutes more for brown):
(1) Cover & cook on stove top on low heat until rice is done
(2) Cover & cook in 350 F. degree oven until rice is done
(3) Cover & cook in microwave, 40% power until rice is done

Valerie in Tacoma

*******
*******