From:
"Stewart, Gerri" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:24:00 PDT

I am wondering if it is possible to have celiac disease and have a normal
small intestinal biopsy.  The reason for the question--my son has all the
classic symptoms of celiac.  His gastroenterologist did a d-xylose test
to check is absorption and when the results came back, the doctor said he
had never seen absorption levels that low.  He then decided to do the
biopsy and skip the antibody tests.  He now says that the biopsy showed
normal villi and really doesn't know what is wrong.  The doctor says he
is baffled.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  At this point, my son and
I are desperate.   He is in almost constant pain and has lost a great
deal of weight.  Any help anyone can provide will be GREATLY appreciated!
 Thank you!