From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:06:01 -0700

Hello all!

Just called Hormel yesterday to ask about the GF status of their chili with
beans and found out good stuff!  I began the conversation by telling the
representative that I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't consume any
WBOB and I was wondering if their chili with beans was safe for me.  She
answered, "Yes, it is.  That chili is gluten free."  Obviously she'd been
trained about gluten-sensitivity.  But it gets better!  She then went on to
ask me about the ingredients I found concerning (the "natural flavorings" and
the "modified food starch").  She told me that since 1994, Hormel has not used
any known allergens in their "flavorings" categories (milk products, gluten,
etc.) and that it was a category which now basically only includes spices.
She read me off the spices in the chili.  Then she told me that Hormel uses
mostly modified food starch made from corn.  During the few times when corn is
not used (due to availability), they use either potato starch or tapioca
starch.  I was thrilled to find another company which can answer my questions
so well and which is obviously thinking about the health of the consumer.  I'm
obviously also thrilled to find a chili I can eat (I can heat it right out of
a can!)  I'm heartily endorsing support of this company.

-Christie in Phoenix