From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:19:06 -0700

Dear List Mates,

I received a number of comments from people reading my blog. Here is a
summary of some topics that you might find interesting and helpful:

- Although the book cover says the price of the book is $26.95, members of
this group advise that it is much, much less expensive if you buy it from
your Costco warehouse. In addition, it is said that ATK offers discounts if
you subscribe to their newsletter.

-A member of this group brought this to my attention: Annalise G. Roberts-
Author of Gluten Free Baking Classics and pastry chef extraordinaire from
the NY area - has recently tested psyllium husk powder in bread. Her
assessment can be found here: http://mygluten-freetable.com/ . Also, you
might want to read her assessment of Cup-4-Cup which is linked on the same
page. (Spoiler alert-her tests show that neither is a great option. Sorry!)

-From comments I've received, the review of Gluten Free On A Shoe String
and ATK's Gluten Free Cook Book has brought some shy bread bakers out of
the shadows. This is a good thing. Advice: start simply. If you can afford
a bread thermometer and a scale, you'll get great results - much better
than measuring out flour by the cup full.

I've made another iteration of the Broa test recipe using Nicole Hunn's
process of making a biga (pre-fermenting the flour and yeast), and the
result is much better. The next iteration will be without psyllium husk
powder to see if that is retarding the rise in any way. (This may take a
while. There is only so much broa I can eat at once!)

And to all that have written to me - thank you for your support and
comments.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA