From:
Erica Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 06:37:37 -0700

I would say that the answer is yes, and no. Mushrooms and wheat ARE major
natural sources of glutamic acid (which contains the amino acid glutamine).
Glutamine is one of the components of monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG
causes problems for many people (like myself). Glutamine is not related to
gluten, however, and the problems wheat and mushrooms cause for people
sensitive to MSG are not the same problems caused by wheat for celiacs and
wheat-sensitive individuals.

Erica Wieland
Tacoma, WA

Linda asked:

>A kind of seaweed used in many japanese soups. It contains quite a bit of
>glutamic acid, which is a cousin of MSG that tends to appear in nature
>(even in your brain!). Kombu is the plant from which MSG was originally
>isolated, but kombu shouldn't give you problems unless mushrooms or wheat
>gluten do (both are major natural sources of glutamic acid). MSG is much
>more concentrated .

Is this information true?  Or is the person who made this post confusing
the term "glutamic acic" with gluten?

TIA, for any information you may give,
Lynda