From:
Amy Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:43:08 EDT

Hi to All,

   Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post the other evening about
flavorings added to meat.

    The other day I bought ground turkey from a local supermarket chain and I
realized on the package it said "natural flavorings added." Unfortunately, I
didn't pick this up when I was at the market.

   I got quite a few responses back. Quite a few of the people mentioned that
poultry and pork products are more likely to have flavorings added than beef.
One person who replied with me sticks with a private butcher where the meat
is less likely to have ingredients added in.

    Most of the folks who have been in this situation have said that usually
the spice rosemary is added to poultry to give it taste. However, again, it
always makes sense to call the company to see which ingredients are added to the
meat.

    Others on the list said to be vigilant around Thanksgiving time in terms
of being aware of what's in the prepackaged turkeys that they buy.

    Thanks again,
    Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]