Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:51:20 -0500

Hello list mates,

Just feeling a little curious about others on the list serv. I would like to do an informal tally of individuals with "silent" celiac disease. What I mean by "silent" celiac is those who did not have typical gastro symptoms and felt fine before being diagnosed with celiac.

I participated in family screening and was surprised to find out I had celiac, despite knowing I was considered high risk. Both of my siblings have celiac and had the typical gastro symptoms and became ill. I felt healthy and was enjoying lots of gluten daily. My biopsy was done at the Celiac Disease Center and my condition was described to me as "incredibly active celiac disease."

There are so many posts discussing "reactions" to various food products so sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't react so I'd like to hear from others like myself. With more family screening for celiac occurring over the last few years, I would imagine there are others like myself.  Anyway, if you'd like to be counted in the "silent" minority please send a brief reply and I'll summarize. Thanks!

Joyce from
New Jersey