Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 19:41:44 -0400

 Sorry this took so long.Here are the replies to whether there is gluten in balloon powder.

I blew up a bunch of balloons recently, and I was scared so I used a foot
pump. Worked great !!!

I saw them making balloons one day on Mr. Rogers. It was something like talc..or something else that didn't attract my attention as containing gluten. From a practical side, they would need to use somethomg that would not attract moisture & was also cheap.

Don't know but will guess talc or cornstarch

Latex powder, I am allergic to latex and also a celiac.I can tell you we put them away for Passover, but my guess is that it's a
corn starch (a custom to avoid as opposed to unsupervised wheat flour which
is mandatory to avoid during Passover). In the past I was told that the starch used on the balloons is USUALLY
cornstarch however it can sometimes be wheat starch so you need to check
each company or simply just carefully rinse out the balloons before
using them should remove the starch.

I suspect that the starch could change depending upon what is cheapest
at that time, after all they don't have to worry about food labeling and
so just take whatever their supplier has that is cheapest.

Thank you for your replies,

Monica,KY