From:
"Kathryn K. Harden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:01:35 -0600

For everyone who is feeling left out in the baked goods department and
doesn't mind cooking,  I have found that I can make essentially any
"normal" product using the following:

1/2 Bette Hagman's traditional GF Mix
1/2 Bette Hagman's light bean flour mix
1/2 - 2 tsp. xanthan gum, depending on the amount of "flour" used and what
you are making.

Both mixes are described in her Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.
 She also discusses the use of xanthan gum.  As she recommends, a bean
flour such as that sold by Authentic foods is best.  Using the 50/50
combination of the 2 mixes in a direct substitution for wheat flour (i.e. 1
cup flour = 1 cup 50/50 mixture), I have made many great baked goods that
no one knows are gluten-free; the subject just doesn't come up unless
someone who knows I have CD is shocked to see me eating a cookie.

Re:  good bread - DeRoMa sells a "corn bread" that is unlike what people in
the US may think of as corn bread.  It is more like a white bread and is
very good.  They also make other products out of the same dough such as
baguettes and buns (hot dog, hamburger) that are very good.  Their web
address is:

                http://www.cosmo2000.ca/deroma/

If you do not like to cook, several delicious baked goods can be purchased
from this company; they have been in business for over 10 years and are
very friendly and helpful.

Admittedly, extra effort and extra $$ are needed to eat well gluten-free
but surely it is worth it.  Although I don't bake for myself or eat bread
very often, having some "treats" in the freezer to pull out occasionally
helps ward off the feeling that this is a tough diet.  Good luck!  Kathy