From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:38:45 -0600

Dear Listmates,

I have an urgent request to you from my daughter.  She is a nursing
mother and  has just made plans to have the biopsy done on Monday
morning.  She just now found out that once she is sedated she shouldn't
nurse for 12 hours.  The baby has experimented with formulas and frozen
breast-milk thawed and presented in bottles.  She rejects them all, in
favor of the breast, and we feel that since it is only two days away, it
is a little late to try to retrain her.  Besides that, we feel that
breastfeeding is the best way to feed her, as there are multiple
allergies in the family.  So far, the baby has been extremely healthy.

Kelly, my daughter, is considering having the procedure without
sedation, and has just called me (far away) to ask my opinion.  I had
sedation, remember nothing and it was fine. ( So I am asking other
"expert authorities".)

If anyone knows first hand about nursing mothers and the biopsy, or
about having biopsy without sedation, please share your thoughts with
us, so that she can make an informed choice.  We intended to wait until
after the baby quit nursing to have the test done, but once Kelly
experimented with the diet a little, she realized it was making a
difference.  She doesn't want to go GF until after the biopsy, and it
has become more  important to her to have it done now.

I will forward the responses I get to her.  Thank you for any
information you have to share.
Anne in San Antonio