From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:23:11 -0500

N>I agree with this.  While being able to order a gluten free meal would be
N>lovely, what about those of us who can't have corn, dairy, rice, other
N>foods?
N> I wouldn't even consider trying to order food that I can eat from an
N>airline.  My own mother hasn't quite got it yet.

I don't want things labelled gluten-free. I want to know the ingredients
of processed foods and any additives or adulterants to basic foods.
I will learn what foods are gluten-free on my own. I will find out what
foods I must partake of in moderation that are gluten-free, but seem
to cause problems. I don't trust the manufacturers. I don't want to be
told that they do not know what goes into their products because other
vendors keep it a secret. Hydrolyzed vegetable protein should have the
vegetable spelled out.  Modified food starch should indicate what food
starch.

I think we should be able to order foods on airplanes and in
restaurants. There should be no "mystery" ingredients in any diet. This
would take care of those with CD and those with allergies, either
separate or concomitant. As I have said before, if someone added rat
poison to food, normal people would want to be made aware of it. The
protein molecules of grains are the equivalent to rat poison to folks
with CD.

One of my sons had 138 known allergies as a child. He does not have
Celiac Disease. He is 6 feet 4 inches tall and too heavy now at age 46.
He found plenty of food to eat, once he developed some sense of Knowing.
Had he had CD, the destruction of villi could have caused some nasty
problems while he was learning. He broke out in a rash just riding
past a corn field in KANSAS at age three. That's allergic!AMS