From:
Yaiza Ramos Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:52:33 PST

Answering the post about Heinz Ketchup, you should read the Abigail Newman's
(http://wwwO.delphi.com/celiac/)paragraph under contaminated products.

Heinz Sweet Relish, and White Distilled Vinegars (One doctor in Norway claims
that the Norway version contains gluten it gave a patient flat villi.  However
it has not been yet confirmed if the patient fully recovered after removing
Heinz ketchup from her diet) (Heinz claims that the vinegar is distilled from
corn.  When I called, I asked if there were any gluten grains used at all in
their vinegar, either before or after the distillation process.  The customer
service rep refused to answer my question.  She stated again that the product is
distilled from corn.  [On the package it says from select grains and vegetables,
which means it is more than just corn...]  She further stated that if there was
any gluten present in the product, that it should be removed during
distillation.  Since Heinz will not guarantee that no gluten grains are used in
the White Vinegar, I am removing all of their products that contain white
vinegar from the GF Food List.)

 Yaiza Ramos Rodriguez
 Orlando