From:
Emily Doolittle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:07:23 -0500

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who suggested various teas.  I'm working my way through
them!  The problem in many herbal teas, by the way, is roasted barley
malt.  (Roasted chicory is not a problem -- it's a plant in the dandelion
family).  I'm forwarding the tea suggestions in case anyone else is
interested.
Emily Doolittle
Indiana University

--------------------
My hands down favorite is a brand called Good Earth--Original Herb Blend.
 So spicy it almost tastes sweet without adding sugar!  They have many
flavored varieties as well, and the caffeine-included kind also.  This is
the tea I prefer iced in the summer!
--------------------------
According to our shopping guide that was printed in Oct, these
gf herbal teas are ok-- Bigelow -decaf cinn. stick, contant comment, earl
grey;, english teatime, lemon lift or plantatin mint;    herbal apple
orchard, cham. mint, cinn orange, cozy chamomile, carnberry apple, fruit
& almond, i love lemon, lemon &c, mint medley, orange &c, orange &spice,
perfect peach, purely peppermint, red rasb., spearmint, & sweet dreams.
Maybe those iwll help.
----------------------------
I gave up on the herbals when the decaf versions of English Breakfast and
Earl Grey came on the shelves. I add Mocha Mix creamer (I'm lactose int)
and enjoy.
----------------
I tried a number of herbal teas with milk and found them mostly revolting.
The best I found was Raspberry tea, not perfect by any means but I got to
quite like it.  The tea is simply dried Raspberry leaves and in the UK is
sold in health food stores for pregnant women and for stress.  If you
have a Raspberry cane in the garden it is a simple matter of bring some
leaves in to dry. At one time I was drinking it in large volume and had
no ill effects.
----------------
Ok, I was at the health food store over lunch break... I haven't tried
this but Celestial Seasonings has what they call "Caffeine-Free Tea."
It's not decaffinated black tea - it's an herbal blend designed to be
kind of like black tea.  It has chicory, but no barley malt.  Since I
haven't tried it I have no idea how it tastes with or without milk, but
it might be worth a try!
When I called Bigelow they told me all of their herbal teas except Apple &
Spice are gf.
I like green tea - it's refreshing and lifts the spirits, much less
caffeine than black teas - GF and is good for you.