Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:06:38 -0800

After a couple of helpful posts to me concerned about what I said about
EnerG bread this morning, I called back this afternoon and got someone who
seemed to somewhat more about the situation, but she left me somewhat in
question still when she didn't seem to know that the "PH balance" had to do
with acid and base content.

Anyway, what SHE  said was that there had been no actual contaminations
reported yet, but Canada was concerned because the acid content of their
bread was too LOW, not too high as the woman this morning told me. It's a
high acid content that helps to stop the development of harmful bacteria,
so Canada was concerned that the acid content was not high enough to keep
the bread safe for the period of a six month (I think that's the period
they state) shelf-life without refrigeration, as their advertising promises.

She said the FDA was there as we spoke and that they would post a
definitive answer on their website as soon as they had one. Sorry I had
that wrong. I think I'll wait to eat the case I have  here till I speak to
someone who I think knows what they are talking about, and they have a
better answer. -vance