From:
John Wiseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 09:50:25 -0400

I have just received information from a major manufacturer of cereal products,
which explains the presence of malt extract and malt flavouring in breakfast
foods, together with the wise recommendation that one's physician or
dietitician should, in any event, be consulted as a precaution.

One phrase, however, really caught my attention: "...the gluten in barley
should be removed in the processing of these ingredients."

        The word "should", rather than "is", in this statement raises a
fundamental question: would it not be a relatively easy matter for the
manufacturer to perform a simple test that would determine whether gluten has,
or has not, been carried over into the end product--or is there simply no
question about it?

INTERNET: [log in to unmask]