From:
Jeannie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:04:43 -0500

My thanks to the 10 people who sent me info on both thyroid tumors in
their families and the results of studies on this same subject -
Following is a summary of their responses, which seemed to agree with my
hunch that there may well be a link.

    * One person reported that four people in her support group of
      thirty celiacs have had thyroid surgery - one for thyroid cancer -
      all were diagnosed with celiac after age 30 so the celiac
      condition went untreated for quite a while.
    * One person had papillary thyroid cancer and cites something that
      will be published in CD on papillary thyroid cancer.
    * One says simply "YES" to my question of whether there might be a link
    * One had Hashimotoes when younger and later had their thyroid
      removed due to thyroid cancer. Not sure if related to her celiac.
    * One person, who reported a family history of thyroid,  has the
      gene for celiac and a daughter with serious celiac. She wonders if
      there is a tie between  celiacs mineral deficiencies (due to
      absorption difficulties) and the iodine deficiencies which bring
      on goiters (tumors of the thyroid). Interesting -
    * One celiac reported having two thyroid tumors removed.
    * One person reported a daughter with cliac who had thyroid cancer
      which went undiagnosed for a long time due to normal thyroid tests.
    * One reported that her family has a history of both thyroid and
      celiac  problems. One with a small tumor at age 24,  two with
      major tumors, removed when they were middle aged.  Two were  had
      been diagnosed with celiac - the third was  a suspected celiac,
      though  never diagnosed.
    * One person wrote that "any health disorders can be linked to
      celiac" due to the protein "Zonulin" which is found in particular
      abundance in the systems of celiacs. Zonulin is aprotein that
      opens spaces between cells, allowing certain proteins to pass
      through but keeping out toxins and bacteria.
    * One suggested I check out "the thyoid info in The Gluten File that
      is an informational thread within the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac
      Disease forum of Braintalk Communities. You do not have to
      register to read
      http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2132 The info
      about thyroid is in the 4th post." This post has lots about the
      connection between thyroid disorders and Celiac.  Thanks Anne!
    * <>One cited a study titled "Prevalence and Early Diagnosis of
      Coeliac Disease in Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders." The "results
      show that the prevalence of coeliac disease in patients with
      autoimmune thyroid diseases is significantly increased when
      compared with the general population, but not with patients
      affected by non auto immune thyroid disorders."