From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:39:42 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Bob Levy's comments re Swanson soups led me to this thought. Let me know if
you think it has any substance as a partial solution.

Here's my idea - rather than celiacs haphazardly contacting manufacturers
of such high profile products as Campbell's, Kellogg's, Kraft, etc. why
can't their consumer service depts contact us via this list when a product
becomes gf or not gf?

Within the Jewish community, when a product that is marked as kosher has a
change in its status, that info is published in the Jewish weekly
newspapers published in Canada & the U.S.

When I called Canada Safeway yesterday, I only wanted to know about one
product. The consumer rep said oh yeah, celiac, I've got a list of all our
dairy products that are gf. And that was the list I posted yesterday to
this listserve.

Instead of me or someone else happening upon this info on a one by one
basis, why can't it be published on a regular schedule by the source? Local
and national celiac groups could let their non-internet, non-email members
know via newletters or at local meetings.

The "payoff" is that the manufacturers and distributors get to advertise
their products to quite a large potential clientelle (when I buy for me, I
buy the same for my family, too) and then we could spend more of our energy
convincing manufacturers and distributors etc. around the world to do some
work on their product labelling.

Helen in Vancouver, BC