From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:51:07 -0600

Hi Everyone,

Forty people responded to my survey regarding shampoo, conditioner, skin care products, makeup, etc.  It appears that the results are just about even -- a little less than half of us use only GF products and the other little over half really don't worry about topicals.

Below is a copy of the survey that I posted and the results.  I will also be sending a second message with your remarks.

QUESTION/STATEMENT FROM ONE RESPONDER:  "I would be interested to know why
you exclude people with DH.  As far as I  know, gluten reactions (including DH) require ingestion of glutens - that is swallowing/eating gluten in some form whether it be a food or gluten containing cosmetic/shampoo, etc.  If that is true, it would mean people with DH would have the same requirements
as those with only CD."

MY REPLY:  "I guess I shouldn't have excluded people with DH, but my thought was that if they are already having skin issues, maybe topical gluten and oats would further irritate the rash, etc.  I was trying to find out if people without DH use strictly GF, oat free products on their skin.  I assumed that people
with DH would use only GF, oat free products on their skin.  I guess I shouldn't have assumed."

I probably should have inlcuded another question which asked if any of the responders had DH as well instead of excluding them from the survey.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I hope that you find the results and comments both interesting and helpful.

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection