From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:50:05 EST

                           Celiac ABC's<9>
                           ---------------
                          by Suzyn Dobroski

I have a two year old.  He is a happy little guy who has made his
mother somewhat crazy by his constant rendition of the "ABC" song.  It
is because of this ever present melody (which lingers while drifting
to sleep...I count letters instead of sheep), that I believe the
following came to fruition.--Suzyn Dobroski

A is for abstinence.  Why mess with the enemy?  If in doubt, keep it
   out of your mouth!

B is for Bette [Hagman].  Our great one, the GF cooking guru.  She has
   made our culinary challenges less frustrating and more delicious.

C is for companion.  Make friends with another who has the disease.  I
   guarantee it will be a bonding experience.  My "celiac maniac"
   friend and I frequently bake for one another.  The food not only
   satisfies our stomach, but also nurtures our souls.

D is for denial.  It is normal to challenge the final diagnosis with a
   juicy donut or take out pizza.  For this reason, the buddy system
   is strongly recommended.

E is for education.  Utilize every opportunity to be a teacher of the
   gluten-free way.

F is for flatulence.  Your aromatic "expressions" will no longer keep
   family and friends at a distance.

G is for gratitude.  Give thanks each day for a "disability" that does
   not require drug intervention.  Vigilance for what we place in our
   mouth is the prescription.

H is for healing.  Once diagnosed and the prescription for a healthy
   life is understood, the intestine does repair [usually-ed.].  Life
   expectancy is that of a person without the disease.

I is for inconvenient.  Learn to plan ahead for travel away from home
   or for those spur of the moment gatherings.  Keep a survival bag in
   your car...crackers, fruit, or instant GF soup.

J is for jolly.  Try to keep a sense of humor.  It's gluten-free,
   calorie-free, and fat free!

K is for kissing.  Beware of sealing your lips to one who is devouring
   the enemy!

L is for lemons turned to lemonade.  Don't throw out those baking
   failures.  Grind up sunken bread for bread crumbs.  Save those
   crumbly cookies for pie crust!

M is for malabsorption.  That little slice of pizza, that one bottle
   of beer, or a pill taken daily may not cause immediate,
   catastrophic symptoms.  However, be forewarned:  There is a
   cumulative effect.  The absorption of vitamins WILL be inhibited
   and cause damage, however minor, from the get go.

N is for nutrition.  We can't deny the fact that this diet is a very
   healthy one and the envy of others who don't have the "excuse" to
   eat more "clean" foods.

O is for optimism.  Become aware of all that you CAN eat.  Diversify
   your eating!  Try out new ethnic cuisines like Thai, Vietnamese,
   Japanese, or Indian.

P is for practice.  Baking with our special flours is an art, much
   like any other culinary skill.  Be patient and persevere!

Q is for question.  When confronted with a food item you are unsure
   about, stand up and be heard.  Q is also for quiet.  Please make
   your concerns heard in a mannerly fashion.

R is for reimbursement.  Some companies are now including this
   medically necessary diet as one of the eligible out-of-pocket
   health care expenses from pre-tax dollars.  Interested?  Ask your
   employer.

S is for support.  The celiac community is thriving today because of
   local, national, and international support groups.  Get involved!
   [Amen and Hallelujah!-ed.]

T is for transition.  Be gentle with yourself as you make the
   necessary dietary changes.  Realize mistakes will be made.

U is for understanding.  Give GF cookbooks to family members as gifts.
   They may invite you to dinner more often!

V is for victim.  Make every bad experience dealing with this
   medically necessary diet an opportunity to be proactive.  For
   instance, get to know the manager at the grocery store you
   frequent.  When a favorite item is suddenly gone from the shelves,
   let them know you miss it and want it back even if it means placing
   an individual order.

W is for whimsical.  Products and their ingredients change frequently.
   Be aware of this when ingesting products from even the most recent
   GF consumer product guides.

X is for xanthan gum.  Don't run out.  Your neighbor is not likely to
   have it in their cupboard!

Y is for you.  Weeks often go by and I realize I haven't taken time to
   bake bread or cookies for myself.  Make the way you must eat a
   priority.

Z is for zany.  Don't believe anyone who tells you, "You'll grow out
   of it!"