From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:21:38 +0100

Dear Listers,

In the UK my wife and I have watched with qualified
approval as Sharwoods have begun to take tentative steps
into marking some of their products "gluten-free".

Why only qualified approval?  Well we consider Sharwoods
to have very little flavour.  What they call "hot" we would
call mild to very mild!

We did have the priviledge of being taught Indian cooking
by the experts and like to make up our own spice mixes
whenever possible.  If not, the Indian way we have been
taught, is to make a paste of two cleaned bulbs of garlic
and add pure chilli powder until it is stiff.  This mix is
stored in a glass container in the fridge.  A curry is then
made by using a mix of spices eg Garam Marsala, which has
neither chilli nor garlic added.  This mix is fried in oil
or ghee for a few seconds before adding the onion and
eventually the other constituents.  Then add a SMALL amount
of the garlic and chilli paste mix well and test for
strength, adding and testing until the curry is hot enough
for your taste.

WARNING - NEVER, NEVER fry the garlic and chilli paste if
you wish the top of your head to remain in place :-))
(alternatively you need the sort of cast iron digestive
tract possessed by ostriches, and non-coeliac masochists
like myself).

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209

Support the Jubilee 2000 movement.  Remove the debt burden
from third world countries.  See http://www.cafod.org.uk/petition.htm