Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:24:32 -0500

On 3/5 Larry Toole asked:

<Does anyone know if a positive ANA blood test can indicate
<Celiac Disease when the other blood test indicators are
<negative?

Interesting question.  My daugther (now 7) was diagnosed with Celiac Disease
at 16 months.  I (her mother) have a positive ANA (1:1280).  My Celiac Panel
was normal except for a ever so slightly elevated IgG (1:10) which my doctor
did not seem to think meant anything.  However, I had about 10 years of
strange symptoms that were diagnosed as everything from chronic fatigue to a
Lupus like autoimmune syndrome, although he never really thought I had a true
case of Lupus.  To make a long story short, I put myself on a gluten free
diet about a year ago (mostly because I kept reading about people on this
list who had such similar symptom histories as mine, and because of the
suspicion of a genetic correlation between my daughter and myself).
 Ironically (or maybe not so ironically) my symptoms completely abated to the
point of being in such good physical condition that I am considering running
a marathon (or at least a half marathon to start!)  Rather interesting, isn't
it?!
-Jane Oswaks