From:
Tanis Collard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:27:25 -0400

Recently my 74 year old father tested positive on the endomysial test
and had a high IgA anti hTG test.  These tests were conducted by the
University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research.  He followed through
and had the intestinal biopsy which the results were normal.  My father
has no "Classic" symptoms, but has had a two year battle with severe
reflux and was diagnosed with Barrette's esophagus recently.  Other than
being very tired lately, he has no classic diarrhea, etc.  He is the
father and grandfather of Celiacs though, myself and my daughter both
having CD.  Being someone who works with Celiacs daily, I do not want to
cloud my advice to him so I am seeking fellow listmates who have had a
similar circumstance to my father's, and what their decision in the end
was.  I am also curious as to what their GI doctor's recommendations
were at this point.  My father is a Type 2 diabetic as well, so telling
him to just go on the diet regardless of the biopsy findings and see if
his reflux and lethargy improve really needs to be justified in a way
that he will understand.  Thanks for any insight and experiences you can
offer.

Tanis Collard, President
MA & RI Celiac SUpport Group for Children