From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:46:00 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I received 16 responses to my query about tattoos.  Two people asked for a summary and one was less than helpful in their response.

Below are some of the remarks from those who were kind enough to share their experiences (and to them, many thanks):

Response #1

"The only thing I can say about tattoos (and I do like some of them and view
them as art), is that from a medical/health perspective tattoos sometimes
present a problem if the person every needs an MRI, as they do interfere with
the process.  Sometimes the dyes migrate to other locations in the body.  It
is important to go to someone who uses new needles and fresh inks on their
customers to avoid Hepatitis infection.  Many of the inks are petroleum
based; I would look elsewhere."

Response #2

"I have a tattoo and have had no problems :) Mine is colored, about 3"
square if that's helpful in any way."

Response #3

"I have 3 tattoos and CD.  The only problem I noticed was with red ink.
Wherever the red is, there is a slight puffiness.  This may or may not be
related to CD."

Response #4

"Gluten would not be a risk in getting a tattoo, as gluten has to be ingested
to cause problems to a celiac.  However, there is a high risk of hepatitis
C, which is much more serious than a single reaction."

Response #5

"Would the ink even be a factor as it is beneath the skin and to the best of
my knowledge doesn't get into the blood stream, let alone the digestive
track.  Now, I could be way wrong, but when I got my last tattoo, the guy
was saying how many layers of skin you have and about what layer they inject
the ink to.  I had gotten a couple small tattoos before diagnosis, and one
since and never thought about the GF status (I am still learning though).  I
have never had a negative reaction after a tattoo"

Response #6

"I have had my eyeliner and lips done, many years ago,
before my DH/celiac diagnosis.  I have never had a
problem."

Response #7

"I have celiac's and was diagnosed as having it when I was 5 or 6
years old!  I have a tattoo, and have had no reaction or side effect.  I have
had this tattoo now for about 10 years!  I too had inquired about and
researched about the ink....but I did not have too much luck getting "solid"
information. "

Response #8

"But it does sometimes swell up a little and
itch even three years later!!! "

Respose #9

"I've got 5 and have had no particular problems with them, if that helps
any. No rashes or other problems beyond the norm. And I tend to have not DH but respond allergically to a lot of lotions and creams"

Response #10

"I have had a tattoo - actually two of them - for about 12 years -
had no problem and I do have problems with my skin.......so go for it!
But ...it does hurt esp if the tattoo over a bone!"

Response #11

  "  My 33 year-old daughter is a non-expressing Celiac,
and she has never had a problem with tattoos.  Just be
sure you choose a reputable artist."

Response #12

" i got a tattoo about 25 years ago and haven't had any problems.  i would tell your friend to contact a reputable tattoo parlor"

Response #13

"Well, I got my small tattoo (black ink only) 5 years ago, before I knew
about my allergies.  I don't think I experienced anything out of the
ordinary allergy-wise.  Occasionally, the lines will swell up when it's hot
out, but I think that's because the black absorbs heat."

Seems like the general consensus is that tattoos are not a problem in the digestive tract (which is what we thought).  However, my friend was also wondering about the number  of you who had skin problems from them as she has a lot of rashes, etc.  Sounds like that may or may not be a problem, but at least she has some input on the subject.  (We certainly agree that not everything that happens to us has something to do with celiac disease.)

THANK YOU, again, to all who responded to my friend's request.  I am sure that your input will help her make her decision.

Barbara in Illinois