From:
Teresa A Andrasik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:46:17 -0500

Here is a final list of answers about the gf status of Hawaiian Punch:

Andy- I called the customer service # 800-696-5891 and the rep told me
it contains corn gluten only. Based on the label and this reps rsponse
we are keeping Hawaiian Punch in our homes list of allowed foods.

Rhonda- A while back, soneone wrote that it contains Barley in the flavoring.

Joan- I thought I had responded, Hawaiian Punch is on the no list
because it contains flour.

Holly-I don't know why Hawaiian Punch is disallowe either but I do know
that it caused symptoms in my celiac son when he drank it before I knwe
better. There was a marked improvement after we eliminated it.

Karen-I heard that Hawaiian Punch has malt in it and that is why it's
not gf, but I don't know for sure.

Annette-I have info from the CSA/USA group that Hawaiian Punch needs to
beavoided because it is processed with or has additives, stabilizers, or
emulsufiers added.

Nancy-Did you contact the group responsible for hawaiian punch being on
the "no list" to get their reasons? Whoever is responsible for the list
should be able to justify why it is there.

Jean-There have been several comments lately on the CSA's "no" list.
When I was first diagnosed I read that some can have trouble with food
colorings, particularly red. I feel the CSA is conservative on many food
issues.

Jody- Not sure why on the no list, but why would anyone drink that...
lots of dyes,sugar anot very healthy for a person to drink.

Thank you all for responding. I wrote an article for the Nursing
Spectrum magazine on the gluten free diet and wanted to keep the details
strait. I did not include Hawaiian Punch as it is a trade name and there
are other sources of punch that may be confused with this brand. Teresa