From:
Max Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Max Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:58:15 -0500

I posted a question regarding relocating to another city and wondered if anyone on the list had
ever faced the experience of living in a hotel temporarily.

Summaries to follow:

****************
www.glutensolutions.com
has lots of finished food, bread,cookies and snacks

****************
Never had that experience since being gluten free..but on vacations have
noticed that most hotels now have refrigerators and microwaves.  If you
brought microwave safe cookware you may be able to do a lot from your room.
I'd find a health food store by the hotel soon and buy gluten free
bread...the nice thing about rice bread is that it microwaves really well.
So you can make hot sandwiches in your room with the microwave where regular
bread would require an oven.  :)  On my recent vacation I used left ovens
from gluten free dinners to make sandwiches for the next day..worked really
well.  All hotels have ice too...although not as good as blue ice (some
hotel refrigerators don't have freezers or they are so small your blue ice
won't fit) it will work in a good quality zip lock type bags in a leak proof
lunch cooler.  Just put the sandwiches in good bags too on top of the ice.
****************
If you can cook, I would definitely recommend a room with a kitchenette,
so you can fix some of your own meals and snacks.  There are some chains
now that offer these, and they come with all basic appliances and
kitchen items for cooking, etc.
****************
I did it for feb & first week of march.. (33 days in total)
I had a housekeeping unit in a Travelodge, w/ a fridge/stove/sink combo
Get groceries in small packages & bring any special foods from home, or
local the nearest store that sells them, and hang out there!
****************
No I have not,but when I traveled down to San Jose on business, I stayed at
Extended Stay America which for me with my special diet worked awesome.  Got
groceries at their local Albertsons for fresh stuff and brought with me my
unique stuff.  They had a fridge, microwave, and stove.  Helped me to
survive.  Don't know if that will work for you.
****************
I highly suggest finding a long term apartment-hotel, if only for a week
even.  I stayed at a Homestead studio suites, which had a fridge, microwave
and 2 burner stove.  That worked out wonderfully.  There are several other
brands of hotel chains that do the same - some more expensive than others.
I found that homestead was not much more expensive than say a super8 or
comfort inn, and they are available all over the country.
****************
One year ago, my 5 children, husband and I had to stay in temporary housing
for 6 weeks while moving to a new state. We are all gluten-free as well as
milk free. We relied heavily on fresh fruit (can pick some up at the nearest
grocery store and doesn't HAVE to be refrigerated) We did have a small
refrigerater and a microwave in our room. We ate rice cakes and gf chips.
Dinner was eaten out (plain chicken breast, plain veggies, that sort of
thing). We also had access to a local park w/ an outdoor grill so we used
that whenever we could, cooking hotdogs, hamburgers, steaks. Carry with you
a tableknive or whatever you think you may need to make it easier on you to
improvise on the meal prep.
****************
I really don't have much problem eating out.  Meals in a restaurant aren't
that difficult.  Boring, maybe, but not difficult.  Unbreaded meat, chicken,
fish...most Chinese restaurants use corn starch rather than flour as a
thickener, so I stay away from the breaded stuff and the soy sauce, and have
had pretty good luck, so far.

For me, the most important thing when I'm staying in a hotel is to have
"legal" snacks around, so I don't get the munchies and blow it completely
with a Danish, or a Wendy's burger at 1 a.m..  Fresh fruit in a cooler,  my
crackers with a jar of peanut butter...things like that.  Lots of motels
have microwaves now, so packages of popcorn are a good idea (May drive the
maids nuts, but I tip well  *smile*)

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I always bring my own soda...
****************
I love the Thai Kitchen instant noodles..if you have a Trader Joes they
carry the ones in their own bowl....just bring a boil pot and some large
paper cups, bowls, plastic spoons or chopsticks and you can get real
creative.  There are lots of meals, that only require hot water.  Try and
get a refrigerator and a microwave in the room.  This helps save lots of
time and $$$$$$.
****************
I have not been faced with the challenge of living in a hotel but travel a
bit for my job.  Since my diagnosis ( last December) I have tried, whenever
possible, to stay in places that have kitchens.  The kitchens generally have
full-sized appliances and come stocked with minimum kitchen supplies.  Some
of my favorites are Hawthorn Inns, but I look for anything that markets
itself as an extended stay hotel.  There are many across the country -
especially if you are moving to a fairly large city.
****************
I used to travel a fair bit, and the best bets are the hotels with kitchenettes. These aren't necessarily the most expensive ones. At least get one with a fridge! Sometimes you can also stay at time-share condos, off-season, and those are NICE.
****************
I eat out a lot I order french fries and a glass of tea. meat is good many
times they will give you potatoes instead of bread
****************
I have never had the experience.  But, we do travel a lot with my 6 year
old celiac daughter and I always try to get a room with a fridge and if
possible a kitchen area.  This way we can bring or buy there GF foods and
eat a lot in the room.  Also, we find that hotels with continental or some
type of breakfast buffets work well.  We usually bring our own GF cereal
and eat the fresh fruit, juice and milk from the hotel breakfast.
****************
I love to eat out but hate to 3 meals a day for too long.
Chose a hotel with a microwave and kitchenette so you can make breakfast,
snacks and lunch.  A toaster oven is valuable too.
****************
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did.  The Hotel Restaurant
had some good choices including steak for dinner and
the buffet for breakfast.  Just tell them about your
allergy, and you shall have no problems.  :)  For a
snack (I have diabetes), I walked to the local "Pop
Shop" and got me some ice cream.  I was moving cross
country, so I had no way of getting "special" gluten
free food.  Just had to eat junk that was gluten-free
for a bit.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions!

JP