From:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:00:09 -0500

Has anyone had experience with GF travel in Egypt?  In Libya?

I am celiac, and my wife is lactose intolerant.

We will be in Egypt and Libya for two weeks at end of March - going for
the solar eclipse, as well as sightseeing, and would appreciate any
help and suggestions.

Does anyone have experience for how to communicate information about
gluten intolerance to facilities in Egypt or Libya -- local tour
operators, hotels, restaurants, nile cruise ships, etc, -- in addition
to the various forms of wheat, about other forbidden ingredients?

Do you have experience with getting GF & Lactose free meals on United &
Lufthansa or British Airways of Al Italia international flights?

Do I need to try to take GF foods with us?

Are there specialized food terms / words in the Egyptian & Arabic that
are significantly different from English?   For example, are there
ingredients that are GF that are not known in the States, or gluten
containing ingredients found in those countries that we are not
familiar with here?

Are there any "gluten free information cards" that are specifically
written in Arabic, etc (as opposed to being translated from USA-English
oriented cards?

Have you had an experience with a particular tour operator or hotel or
Nile ships or restaurants -- either good or bad?

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Please reply directly to me.  I will summarize if there is a lot of
info.

Marshall