From:
Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 14:53:34 -0400

>>It occurred to me that perhaps rice noodles might not be made of just rice
>>flour.

I tried a variety of Asian rice noodle brands with varying success.  I
believe the problem may lie in the manufacturing process as well as in
labeling.

One brand from Thailand listed "Rice, Flour, Salt".  Did this mean rice
flour or rice and flour? Needless to say, it made me sick.  The distributor
said that the stuff is packaged in Thailand, and that the raw product may
come from different sources.

So we have the same problem as we encounter in the US.  The manufacturing
enviroment may be contaminating the rice product.

Now I stay away from rice noodles, until I can find a brand made in the US
that I can adequately check out.

I substitute frozen rice cakes, sort of a glutinous chewy rice stick cut
into disks.  It tastes great and cooks up with ease.

"Sliced Rice Cake
Dong Bo Food Products. Co.
Long Island City, NY 11101"

These are a staple part of my cooking.  Once upon a time I had the phone
number, but they are in the telephone directory.  And the people there are
very nice.  I talked to them and was told that the ingredients are only
rice, water and salt.  They don't make any products that could contaminate
the mix, so it should be ok.

Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Boston, MA
If it's Old tools, Hong Kong cinema or American Art Pottery...then it's
worth it.