From:
Elizabeth Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:26:33 -0400

Thank you to all who responded.  You all had good ideas and were
extremely supportive of this new-to-it-all celiac mother!

Many assured me that if I did choose to put the whole house on a celiac
diet the children would be fine.  Suggestions to assure this included
serving (organic) meat, using a vitamin supplement, emphasizing calcium
and protein rich green vegetables, calcium enriched orange juice.
http://www.lifeservices.com/cordain.htm is a website suggested for
background on the suitability of wheatless diets   D'adomo, Eat Right for
you Type, was another suggested resource.

Others shared successful experiences of cooking for children not on a
celiac diet.  One idea was to keep gluten-containing foods to one area of
the kitchen.  The dietitian at the center where I got my diagnosis
strongly recommended letting the kids have their wheat.

Assured that the kids could be healthy either way, I asked them.  They
want their familiar foods, but they are willing to try new ones too. I
also had not realized how much the diagnosis had upset them - I had my
usual extreme reaction to the sedative used for the endoscopy, and that
terrified them (Moral - if you are having an endoscopy and have kids,
DON'T assume they can come to pick you up after the procedure.)  So this
is not the time to change their diet.

Sorry for the length.  Thanks again for the support and info.  Elizabeth