From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:34:43 -0400

The following is a summary from an old posting which I overlooked in
Archives.  The original sender forwarded this to me.  I've edited parts of
it, to avoid repetitions to my first summary.
...Mildred Oberkotter

1. Soba noodle maybe have buckwheat in them- but it is rare to find them -
unless in a special store. (cheaper varieties may have included wheat).
Best to avoid them.

3. most sushi should be fine- just don't use the soy sauce.

5. make sure they really understand you and use a clean pan- often they
cook
in same pan with just a rinse of water in between uses. Better if you eat
at
places that you can see them cook

6. be aware of veggies and meat soaked in soysauce before they are cooked

7. (copy of message sent to me)I have a little translation book from my
trip
to Japan about 8 years ago. It has the Japanese symbols and English. It has
the phrase, "Caution: this will make me sick"... and various choices- one
being wheat (not gluten though). Another page says, "I have a medical
problem".. and one choice is food allergies. It is called Show Me Language
Books Japanese created by Seth Godin and produced by Cader Books. I think
the publisher is Andrews and McMeel. If you call a bookstore the ISBN # is
0-8362-2630-5.

8. Great web site for all types of languages. I was really impressed.
http://www.zoeliakie-info.de/Sprachinfo/Japanisch/japanisch.html