From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:41:19 -0800

Hi All--

  Does anyone know if there is a difference in how baking powder and double-acting baking powder perform in yeast-free GF bread recipes? I've checked the archives and haven't found any mention of different types of baking powders.

  In the Joy of Cooking cookbook, they make a distinction among the soda/cream of tartar/salt BP, the double-acting BP, and BP not labeled double-acting (sorry, but I can't recall some of the brands other than Clabber Girl, which is double-acting). The soda, cream of tartar and salt type seems to be rather popular in GF recipes. Does it work better with the heavier GF flours?

  Thanks for any information anyone can share. I'll be glad to summarize. (And if I ever get a good loaf of bread, I'll post that, too!)

  Cheers,
  Ayn in Alabama