From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:42:00 -0500

I often have a problem with candy, even
OCCASIONALLY from manufacturers many people trust
as being GF -- or from companies that fully
disclose all gluten on their labels.  The end
result is that I've gotten quite gun-shy.

For me, I think the problem might be mostly about
cross-contamination, as I know that I am
extremely sensitive to this.  With candies, this
can be an even greater problem for me -- as I'm
pretty sure that one of my most severe reactions
is to malt (which is derived from barley) or
barley, itself.  And I think candy companies
often use both.  Neither of these are required to
be disclosed on a label under the new law, though
the really big candy companies such as Hershey's
and Nestlé seem to be quite responsible about
this.

This past Christmas, I *think* I had a mild
reaction to a new type of Hershey's kisses
(Cherry Cordials) -- but that has been my only
bad experience with Hershey's.  And, even with
that, I'm not 100% sure that it was these candies
(though I am probably 80% sure, after eliminating
other things).  There was no gluten listed on the
label, but my fear was that it was a short-run,
seasonal item and perhaps their manufacturing
process wasn't as strictly constructed as the
Kisses products the make all of the time.  I've
thought about writing to Hershey's, in fact,
encouraging them to look into it, because my c-c
reactions frequently have turned out to be
correct.  I've never had any problem with any
Hershey's Kisses in the past.

BUT, that said ... the following is just personal
opinion.  Brach's strikes me as the type of
company that may only be listing wheat because
they  have to.  And my greatest doubts are that
they always disclose either barley or malt on
their labels -- they are not required to do this,
so I figure it is possible that they do not do
it.  The other day, I stood in our local CVS and
looked over the various candies from Brach's, and
saw that SO MANY of them have glucose syrup that
is derived from wheat (I do not think all glucose
syrup comes from wheat, but Brach's does).  There
were so many that had wheat on the label, that
all the buzzers went off in my own head about
cross-contamination.  I figure with that many
products that do have wheat (and not knowing if
they responsibly label other non-wheat glutens),
that is NOT a candy for me to even hold in my
hand! ;-)

I have an observation to make, though.  It seems
to me that most of the candy manufacturers who
have a HUGE base of children as customers are
being very responsible about labeling.  Now,
while Brach's makes a number of "kid" products, a
lot of their products are not really so much
kid-oriented, such as their bread-n-butter boxed
chocolates.  And they do pretty much zero
advertising to kids.  Godiva is another company
that makes almost nothing they say is GF, and
also do not go after the kid market.  I know
there are others I've investigated that have
disappointed me in their response about gluten --
but again, they make adult-oriented products, not
mass-market products for children.  But Nestlé,
Hershey's, M&M-Mars, etc., seem to generally have
their acts together on this point.  I suspect,
from a marketing point-of-view, they are perhaps
seeing that so much celiac disease, autism and
other diseases are being diagnosed in children
who are being treated with a GF diet, that they
cannot afford to lose their reputation among this
base of customers.  As a grown-up, I figure I
reap the rewards of their efforts! ;-)  [As an
aside, I have also never had a reaction to a
Kraft product that showed no gluten on its label
-- though not primarily a candy manufacturer, I
think they are one of these companies that
realizes they must be responsible when it comes
to KIDS.  When the label of a Kraft product does
not say it contains gluten, my own experience has
led me to trust that it does not, even from
cross-contamination.]

Well, enough of my personal ideas about all of
this.  Don't know most of the above for sure, in
any of the above cases ... just based on my
observations, personal experiences and my
excessive love of chocolate.  It is known, now,
that dark chocolate has many health benefits, and
quite a lot of chocolate is GF.  If only they
could remove the calories ... sigh.