From:
"Nancy E. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:43:31 -0500

Andy and Trisha Stevenson asked whether they should be concerned about
their four-year-old celiac daughter making or playing with play dough
(which contains wheat flour in the usual recipe) at preschool. I have read
reports on this list and elsewhere of adult celiacs having reactions to
airborne dust containing gluten, which could fly freely and be inhaled as
young children mixed dough. On the other hand, some celiacs report no
problems associated with baking with wheat flour for other family members.
I would be concerned if this were my child. Also, keeping anything that has
been on the hands of a four year old out of her mouth is difficult.
Preschoolers sometimes eat play dough intentionally, and if that is part of
the underground culture at this preschool, the temptation to imitate peers
could be strong.

As for behavioral reactions after eating gluten, a number of adults on this
list have reported symptoms ranging from fuzzymindedness to extreme
irritability. Parents of celiac children also have reported episodes of
hyperactivity and irritability after their usually even tempered children
consumed gluten.

Nancy Ewald Jackson, Ph.D.
Professor, Educational Psychology
College of Education, 361 Lindquist Ctr. N.
University of Iowa,Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
Phone: 319-335-5571     FAX: 319-335-5386
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>