From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:14:11 -0700

The discussion continues ...
----------------------
I realized that you didn't write that *list* but I knew that you found it
really interesting enough to post it.  Somehow, even falling over half-dead
most of the time toward the end, I managed to work over three decades as a
psychotherapist!   Now I don't know how I did it in retrospect......I have
found the two (maybe three) missing components in my journey toward wellness
btw.   I am taking growth hormone daily injections (did I tell you that
before, sorry if I am repeating);  I was making less than 20 % of the
minimum so I qualified as having hypopituitary disease.  this is
evidentally very common, but extremely underdiagnosed amongst celiacs.
Also, just two weeks ago, I starting taking these amazing B vitamin/
magnesium injections that a REALLY incredible endocrinologist concocts.
Apparently the B vitamins bind with the growth hormone and I feel like a
new person!  No one can believe the difference in how I look and how much
energy I have (they remember the *old* me).
-----------------------
stick to the gluten diet.  I am definitely NOT a type A personality, and I
adhere to the  diet.  It makes me feel so much better! I stick to the diet
because once I  went guten free I realize it affected far more  than my
digestive  problems. It was an all over body disease,  sapping my energy,
giving  me headaches, controlling my mood, etc.  If it was just a digestive
issue, I don't think I would be so  strict on the diet.  Michele
--------------------
in regards to the thoughts on nursing homes -- I think that all of us
Celiacs will have to write out something for when we get older... Heaven
forbid we have to go to a nursing home. We need to have something that tells
what we can eat and what we can't... Maybe give a list of things
that we normally eat during a normal day... Maybe give directions on where
to get the food that we need to eat.. Have it be in a safe place where
"they" can find it... Have the resources be nearby so that they aren't a big
job having to be sent away for.. Have a good stock on hand to be used in an
emergency...Rotate it.. I always try to keep at least 6 loaves of brown rice
bread in the freezer..
Maybe it would be great for some of us to start planning on shared housing..
We could help one another out... Maybe delay or avoid having to go into a
"nursing home" - it's a thought..
or, for those of us who can afford it -- make arrangements with a younger
relative who is into care giving... have a fund set up for our care, etc...
have a care giver come into our home and give them
instructions on our diet...maybe exchange part of the pay for room and
board.. There are always alternatives out there -- we just need to think of
them.. We need to stay as healthy as we can.. That means taking good care of
ourselves, sticking to our diets, etc.. Some of us have allergies to
other foods -- I know that I do... We need to get exercise, etc.. My Mom
lived to be almost 97 years old.. My Dad 89... I'm 59.... For the last 3
years of both my parents lives -- they were in nursing homes... I was in my
20's, and had babies at home when my Dad was in one (he was 61 when I was
born), and my Mom had moved off to Idaho from California -- so my sister's
were
directly responsible for her -- it was their decision... I wanted to bring
her back to California, but she had given power of attorney to my older
sister...she said "No." I think that we need to chose wisely who will be
responsible for our care... These are just thoughts that your discussion
brought to mind for me.. I don't expect you to post this, but you could edit
it and post any part of it that you think would be pertinent for the others
to see.  These are things that we need to discuss with one another and our
friends and family. Let's not be caught off guard. We need to prepare for
tomorrow before it comes..  Among other things, I have been a part time care
provider for the last 5 years. I have helped with terminal Cancer patients,
etc. They stayed at home right up to the last of their mortal existence. If
they can do it - so can we.. The only time that it would be to the contrary
would be if we had a medical emergency, or needed around the clock medical
care -- and that would be in a hospital. Jerri
------------------------
After reading your summaries, I want to say that I too stay totally gluten
free and have since diagnosis.  There is plenty of other foods in the world.
  I have learned to cook way too many good things.  lol  Now I need a gluten
free diet to lose weight.   I never want to go back to the poor health I
experienced.  I felt like I was 90 years old at 57.  I could look back over
my life and see that
fatigue, anemia, poor memory, joint pain, muscle pain, horrible stomach
pain, skin rashes had plagued me since birth.   I feel fortunate that my son
and daughter were even born.  They both
follow the GF diet, as well as both grandchildren and two nieces.  Some are
stool tested and a couple are just gluten free because they understood and
didn't see the need for testing.  I'm grateful that my family has been so
receptive.  It took a couple years after my diagnosis for them to see the
improvement in my health.  There are still others who don't want to know and
we keep nudging them along.  One great-nephew has had two bouts of out of
control diarrhea this summer.  He is super thin and has always had problems.
  He may be almost ready to admit that gluten is the problem since the last
bout.  We'll see.  Never give up on educating them!!!Sue in MD
------------------------
Oh my gosh, Valerie!!   I answered YES to every single one of those
characteristics!! Leslie in Atlanta
------------------------
I loved the Type A stereotype.  I sometimes feel like I'm a D- . I  stick to
the diet religiously because I also have an allergy to grass (which contains
wheat, barley, and rye depending on the type), and the doctor pretty  much
said you probably don't want to eat any of it.  I said "Amen" and as a
result also felt much, much better.  No more stomach aches, nausea, or
moodiness,
except for the bit of depression that manages to creep in  occasionally.
So, I have 2 degrees and half of another, overly messy home  that I'm always
working on, work with my doctor on everything, some depression,  change jobs
as often as I can, etc., etc.   I like a bit of  change/adventure/chaos/;)
in my life, but won't eat wheat, barley, or rye.   By the way, I've also
traveled the world and enjoyed as many foods as  possible.  I'm just
careful!!  The diet
hasn't stopped what I've  wanted to do.  I think the one concept that I've
tried to remember is that  I won't find a food that tastes like wheat, just
as I won't find another food  that tastes like Brussels sprouts.  I look for
different tastes and enjoy  them.  Yes, I do miss the taste of wheat pizza
and cherry pie made with a  wheat crust, but my stomach remembers what the
results felt
like and it's not  worth it. Mary in California